2007年5月22日火曜日

Fluency journal "The purpose of ELP"

Kota Funakawa
Professor Owen JAMES
ARW Section AI
22 May 2007
Fluency journal "The purpose of ELP"
 
  I would like to explain the purpose of ELP. The reason why I chose this topic is because I thought that now is the time we recognize the meaning of ELP anew. I hope that rediscovery will make our studying English more efficient. Now let’s begin. The purpose of ELP is to make students fluent at English enough to take lecture. But the ELP alone won’t make you a fluent English speaker because ELP is just an opportunity to use English. So you have to have the desire, motivation and effort to learn in order to be a fluent speaker. The ELP has six kinds of classes in spring term: ARW, RCA, ALS, ALN, ASP and NP. Let’s see the purpose of each class. First, ARW has two purposes, writing part and reading part. On the one hand, reading part helps you understand and talk about the ideas presented in the readings and NP lectures. On the other hand, writing part develops your writing abilities in English for university level work. Second, RCA also has two parts. The purpose of reading part is to develop skills in reading the content for accuracy. That of writing part is to develop your understanding of the structure of English sentence, paragraphs and academic texts. Third, the objectives of ALS are to introduce you to various learning strategies, and to help you develop effective ways to promote classroom interaction and self-study techniques. Forth, the aim of ALN class is developing your listening and notetaking skills. Fifth, the object of ASP is to become more fluent in spoken English. Last, NP’s purpose is to develop your academic listening and notetaking skills. These are the purposes of ELP. We should study while being conscious of these purposes to improve your own skill of English.(298 words)
Work cited
ELP STUDENT HANDBOOK 2007-2008

2 件のコメント:

i111077 さんのコメント...

Hi. This is Asano Hayakawa. Owen wrote on the blackboard that we comments on our partner’s ideas and I was your partner today, so I comment on your portfolio.
First of all, thank you for choosing this topic because I am trying to do in ELP classes as hard as I can, but I am starting to lose sight of my goals in my English recently. I must reconfirm that I should study English also by my own efforts to speak fluently. Furthermore, I think it gets different results whether we know the purpose of each class or not. For example, we should speak various phrases in English in ASP class because this class is to make our speaking skills more fluent, so I should think over when I spoke Japanese in this class. On the other hand, you always seem to speak English in ELP classes. How about your English skill?

Kensuke さんのコメント...

It's good to choice this topic because we can learn English in ELP effectively if we know the real meaning of the class. Do you think all classes can fulfill those purposes of the class? I think it's need a little more development. However, I emphasize that assignments are already enough. Then, let's study hard. See you in class.